Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The one where I write about music as if I know anything at all about it: I can't even read it

So about a month ago, I was sifting through my google reader, as I often find myself doing while waiting on my carry-in lunch to warm up in the microwave, I found a funny entry about a baby carseat-dancing. It sounded interesting, but my work does not allow us to pull up any streaming thing, so I couldn't listen/see it.

When this happens, I usually email myself the link, and look at it the next time I access the interwebs from home. That doesn't happen all that often, because, ironically, I only have my work computer set up for massive time-wasting links that occupy my day. My home computer is really only used for function, and is thusly not equipped with anything like Echophone, StumbleUpon or Universal Amazon wishlist. It barely has foxtab, and even then it doesn't have all the tabs that my work computer has.

SOO, when I got around to looking at the video I was delighted with the way it made me feel, but I was twice as delighted to discover a song I had previously overlooked. I clicked off the video and immediatly looked up the song and fell in love with it. *yay*




Florence and the Machine: Dog Days Are Over

Everything about this little ditty makes me wanna wear nothing but a really expensive pair of jeans and a ruthlessly hot VS bra, rent an empty warehouse flat, shake my curly hair out of its oppressive bun and sprawl-ed-ly dance away the day until I become so dehydrated I puke.

Her voice is just so rich and brassy and golden. It carries the song through most of the slow parts. ( I can't stand slow parts of songs, they lose me if they're too build-uppy ) And then when everything picks up and Florence is singing and the harps and drums and pianos all get a goin, ( might be a chorus?) I feel like that happy scene in every woman-triumph movie where she's arms akimbo up at the sky and either snow or leaves or glitter or rain is falling towards her smiling face as the camera pans away. It takes a movie an hour and a half to suck me in to the character's development enough to care about the triumph over some seemingly insurmountable pitfall so that that last scene is what it is! It takes Florence and her Machine a little over two minutes to create the exact same soul-filling sensation in me.
It also reminds me of the scene in 500 Days of Summer where Tom meets Autumn. It is then that you put together that Tom, this amazingly sensitive, hot, geeky, masterpiece, will be ok without Summer. That fact makes you feel all gooey with shit-eating grin energy. Because you're SOO sucked into Tom's psyche by that point in the movie, you're thinking exactly like him, like life will never be well until you/him find that person, that ONE person, and what if you've already met that ONE person and let them go, or the person you have IS the ONE, ( but then that scares you), and then BAM he meets Autumn, and you're like  "OH THANK GOD THERE IS HOPE FOR ME AFTER ALL!!" 

But I am afraid.
I have a terrible habit of killing a song as soon as I find it. The only time this hasn't happened is with "I Love the Rain the Most" by Mr. Joe Purdy. ( that song will go down in my history )
I want to keep it whole and pretty like it is forever.

I haven't looked up the lyrics, and I've been hiding it from my ipod, so I can't put it on replay and ruin it.
But I got the inkling to hear it at work, and I looked it up, and now I have access to that MySpace Player that I linked up above.

I think the end is near, and I'm so sad about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment